The Ultimate Portable DaVinci Resolve Controller on Steroids
Beatstep DaVinci Resolve Edition
The nr 1 budget portable DaVinci Resolve Controller for grading and editing with DaVinci Resolve on the Mac OSX platform
This control panel software only kit is based entirely on his larger brother APC40 Resolve Edition, but now crammed and slammed into the much smaller but rugged readily available Arturia Beatstep midi controller (Standard white or Black edition). So don’t let the size fool you, as it has more then 90% of its features including a visual feedback system to make it a breeze to work with.
If you want all the features of the 30.000$ Black Magic DaVinci Resolve controller, the BM edit keyboard and much much more unique stuff on top of that, but have only 1% of the budget, and want it to be portable as well, look no further. This software kit repurposes the readily available and popular small Arturia Beatstep midi control panel to an all new insane level.
- ~95% of the DaVinci Resolve color grading page controls mapped to buttons and rotary knobs of the Arturia Beatstep midi controller (not included), assisted via a unique programmed visual feedback system using its lights and a button callable or (new) always on wireless Heads Up Display so you never get lost. This all driven by over ten thousand smart interacting objects programmed in the “Controllermate” software (remark: in combo with my unique suite of tools 100% Catalina compatible !). Augmented by a large set of custom developed scripts and tools that go way beyond the possibilities of controllermate and give rise to some unique features. The following base features of the DaVinci Resolve color page can be fully controlled:
- Primary (incl. colorwheels control)
- Primary Bars
- Log (incl. colorwheels control)
- Camera RAW (auto detecting and adjusting for Raw codec)
- HDR Grading tool full control (new as of v11.0 for DR17 !!!)
- Color Warper (new as of v11.9 for DR17 !!!)
- RGB mixer
- Printer Lights
- Custom Curves(unique feature !!)
- X vs Y Curves (all)
- Qualifiers (HSL,RGB,3D)
- Shapes (full autodetecting and control over all shapes)
- Sizing (full control over all sizing types )
- Motion FX
- Dolby Vision trimming
- Any OFX plugin (unique feature , see later)
- Several global controls like among others
- Navigation (playback/clip/node/keyframe etc)
- Add nodes (any type)
- Version control (add/next)
- Disable/enable grade/node
- loop on/off
- fullscreen on/off
- extensive reset features (entire grade / node / section / single parameter (on key primary parameters))
- zoom wheel / reset zoom
- full control of wipe position and wipe type selection
- Besides complete color grading page operation also a fully loaded, dynamic Mackie HUI style mixer for the Fairlight page, with 8 channel strips (per bank) with navigation, fader, pan, mute, fader/pan reset , jog/shuttle control knob and page navigation by bank or channel.
- Absolutely unique to this controller and its larger brothers, full control over a set of selected and expanding number of the best of Resolve OFX. Currently these 21 Resolve OFX plugins are supported and fully mapped:
- Lens Blur
- Color Compressor
- Contrast Pop
- Lens Flare
- Face Refinement (4modes)
- Sharpen Edges
- Soften & Sharpen
- Tilt/Shift Blur
- Film Grain
- Camera Shake
- Lens Distortion
- Aperture Diffraction
- Lens Reflections
- Patch Replacer
- Flicker Addition
- Film Damage
- Beauty (2 modes)
- Control over ANY not pre mapped OFX plugin (incl 3rd party) using a default general purpose mapping of up to 16 ofx slider controls.
- For the color grading page, a set of 5 extra banks with 16 knobs each, featuring user programmable mappings, all programmed directly by you and simply with the controller itself, using smart visual feedback. These are mainly intended for custom mapping your own favorite not standard mapped OFX plugins, but can also be used for the Camera Raw pane for example, which is not in the standard mapping due to constant changing layout based on source material type, so a perfect candidate for user mapping.
- A butter smooth source/timeline jog knob (featuring auto-detected screen location using custom build computer vision tools) for the Edit, Cut and Media page
- A course/fine toggle for changing the controls sensitivity for most pages
- As of V9.0 , as the only DaVinci Resolve controller in the world (next to the also here available APC40 MK1 and MK2 kits) , amazing features allowing full control over the Edit, Cut and Fairlight page inspector tab content. Like Edit Sizing, OFX plugins and Audio settings / plugins.
- As of v10.7 a revamped EDIT & Cut page with full control over key edit features.
It now features new high speed efficient and dedicated navigation controls for things like Smooth Jog, Edit Points, Clip Gaps, Markers and keyframes as well as a dedicated timeline zoom control. Fast target audio and target video track selection as well as direct track auto select buttons on/off. A plethora of smart trimming tools to either quickly select nearest out/in/cut points or clips and then trimming/resizing or directly slip/slide/move/swaps clips all with dedicated knobs. And lots more handy editing/trimming tools. And of course it also features the basic set of insert/overwrite/append/place on and several other editing/assembling buttons as well as a dedicated undo/redo. The CUT page is of course also fully supported.
As of March 2021 support for the DR17 Color Warper
And here an example of the HUD on demand feature, available on ALL pages , to help you in learning this massive controller.
An additional wireless always on HUD feature for display on any mobile device or other device with webbrowser. When you operate the controller and control Resolve, the HUD will auto update to show the currently active mappings for that section in Davinci Resolve so you never get lost.
As of April 2020 full Dolby Vision trimming control (example shows the implementation for the larger brother APC40MK2 controller, also see WebHUD in action on small external HDMI monitor)
And last but not least :
- Extensive support in case of issues, custom requests (within limits)
- Receive automatic and free (lifetime) version upgrades, no hidden fees or other b.s.
If you are still in doubt, check out the full updated (March 2021) user manual video , to see how this Davinci Resolve panel works in detail.
00:00 – Introduction
00:37 – General operation & H.U.D (v1 & v2)
06:41 – Color page – Primaries (Wheels/Log/Bars/RGB//Cam RAW)
13:36 – Color page – Secondaries (Curves/Qual/Shapes/Sizing/MFX/HDR/Dolby/Warper)
25:49 – Color page – OFX (Premapped/Auomapped/Custom mapping)
30:29 – Color page – Rest
33:22 – Edit/Fairlight/Media page
45:34 – Closing
- A standard Arturia Beatstep midi controller , not included (the original model , not the pro), white or black edition. (depicted below with the custom labels for which a ready to print template is included in this DaVinci Resolve Controller software kit)
- DaVinci Resolve MAC OSX (studio or free) 16.x + 17.x
(Legacy versions for DR15.3 available on request)
- DaVinci Resolve GUI language set to English. No other GUI language supported
- Full controllermate software license , not included (available for ~25EU HERE)
- Supported hardware
- Any Intel based Mac that can run Blackmagic Davinci Resolve
- Any Hackintosh that can run Blackmagic Davinci Resolve
- Not supported atm on Apple Silicon
- Supported OS versions
- MAC OSX High Sierra (fully supported, DR16 only)
- MAC OSX Mojave (fully supported, minimum for DR17)
- MAC OSX Catalina (fully supported)
- MAC OSX BigSur Intel (fully supported, Intel version only)
- MAC OSX Monterey Beta Intel (fully supported, Intel version only)
Feel free to contact me for questions/options